Archaeologist- Crew Chief
Archaeological Consultants, Inc (ACI) is looking for a detail-oriented team player with experience in Florida and the southeast. ACI is in search of a full-time Field Crew Chief. This position will be responsible for conducting preliminary research, supervise fieldwork and crews, initiate and complete analyses, contribute to report production including completing site file forms and survey logs, and provide general administrative support as assigned under the supervision of the Senior Archaeologist and Project Manager. Routine fieldwork, including overnight travel, will be required. This position will be located in our Sarasota office. Strong preference given to Bioarchaeology experience and RPA or RPA-eligible.
ACI is Florida’s oldest Cultural Resource Management firm with over 45 years of proven excellence. ACI is family-owned with a collaborative work environment, opportunities for advancement, and an excellent benefits package including medical and retirement plan with company contributions.
- The individual must meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualifications Standards (36 Code of Federal Regulations, CFR Part 61) for Archaeology, specifically these standards are:
- A graduate degree in archeology, anthropology, or closely related field plus:
- At least one year of full-time professional experience or equivalent specialized training in archeological research, administration or management;
- At least four months of supervised field and analytic experience in general North American archeology, and
- Demonstrated ability to carry research to completion.
- Possess a valid driver's license with a clean record and access to reliable transportation,
- Be able to pass security clearance and background check
- 3-5 years CRM field experience, 1-2 years in a supervisor role
- Candidate must have strong field skill set and be physically capable of conducting survey in all weather and all environments, from very cold to very hot.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Able to walk up to 5 miles per day over uneven, heavily vegetated terrain.
- Able to systematically excavate natural soil strata using a shovel.
- Familiarity with pacing, compass, and transect work.
- Strong GPS skills- Trimble, Collector- and other related software
- Ability to use digital cameras.
- Note-taking skills.
- Demonstrated work reliability.
- Ability to follow instructions and apply critical thinking.
- Conversant with federal laws, regulations, standards, and guidelines related to the field
- Knowledge of National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) significance criteria.
- Organization, attention to detail, and ability to handle multiple projects with deadlines.
- Effective written and oral communication.
- Ability to work on projects or tasks independently or as part of a team.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Word and Excel and Adobe Acrobat.
- Knowledge of GIS a plus.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Locates and records cultural features using standard archaeological survey and excavation techniques.
2. Identifies artifacts and potential artifacts, cultural features and significant natural conditions. 3. Recognizes conditions that may require reevaluation of strategy or additional investigation. 4. Maps and sketches archaeological features.
6. Maintain accurate records.
7. Performs required physical work in adverse environmental conditions.
8. Performs a range of tasks that require adhering to a consistent standard.
9. Consulates with co-workers and/or the field supervisor for clarification.
10. Maintains workable relations with other members of the crew.
11. Other functions that may be assigned.
• Competitive salary based on level of experience
• Per diem (for overnight travel)
• Subsidized Group Health Insurance
• IRA Retirement Plan
• Paid Holidays
• Paid Vacation
• Merit-Based Raises, Bonuses, and Promotions
Please send a cover letter highlighting your qualifications and experience, your resume/CV, contact information for a minimum of two personal references, and your dates of availability. Send all information to email@example.com. ACI will contact references and will treat these inquires with discretion. ACI will confirm education.