Senior Archaeologist Position
Full-Time Position Available
Washington DC Metropolitan Area
Marstel-Day, LLC, a premier environmental and sustainability consulting firm, is seeking a senior archaeologist to lead and manage our archaeology practice area to support our clients, in particular the Department of Defense in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. This is a unique career opportunity for the right person to manage and build their own practice area with already established contracts, task orders, and client relationships. We also offer a very flexible work environment where staff can work remotely and properly balance work and life responsibilities.
- At least a Master’s degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, or related field.
- Meets Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualifications for Archaeology and History.
- Ability to manage field crews and serve as crew chief when needed for projects primarily in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia area, with the potential for some projects nationwide. Experience working with the Maryland and Virginia SHPO and DC HPO is a plus.
- Ability to take tasks from beginning to end, including managing costs and schedule, and field and lab staff.
- Familiarity and understanding of Sections 106 and 110, NEPA, and tribal consultation. Familiarity with architectural history tasks a plus.
- 10+ years of project management experience managing Phase I and II archaeology field projects and related cultural resources deliverables. Experience preparing cultural resource reports in accordance with federal and state guidelines. Experience preparing Integrated Cultural Resources Management Plans is a plus. The ideal candidate will have experience managing an archaeology group, with some business development and proposal writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to produce and manage high quality deliverables.
- Excellent writing, communication, and analytical skills.
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently in flexible work environment.
- Intellectual curiosity, paired with a high level of organization and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite programs Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as Adobe Acrobat.
- GPS, GIS, and MS Access experience a plus.
- RPA/RA certification preferred.
To be hired, an incumbent must:
- Be eligible to work in the U.S. (DHS Form I-9 must be completed by the incumbent and submitted to DHS for verification of citizenship and eligibility through E-Verify)
- Submit to a background check as a condition of any final offer of employment (Depending on the exact nature of the work, the applicant may also be required to submit to a credit and financial background check. This required contingency and evaluation continues even after hiring.)
- Be able to conduct archaeology fieldwork, which may include strenuous walking and some heavy lifting.
Salary and Benefits:
The Company offers a very flexible work environment with competitive salaries and benefits. We pay a competitive salary or wage commensurate with the incumbent’s level of education, certification/registration, experience, and responsibilities. Full time employees receive access to a Company provided health plan and 401(k) plan; receive disability and life insurance coverage; receive holiday and personal leave accruals and other benefits. Salary range is $75,000 - $100,000, depending on experience.
If reading this open position announcement on our Company’s website employment page, follow the instructions provided on the employment page. If viewing this announcement on another independent employment web site, there may be additional site requirements that are necessary for submittal of an application. If reading this announcement offline or on a site that does not link to our webpage, please go to: https://www.marstel-day.com/MarstelDayLife.html Follow all instructions and directions provided on the Company’s employment page. Submit a cover letter, resume, a minimum of 3 professional and/or academic references, and a writing sample. Submittals that do not include all the required items will not be considered a complete application.
Essential Functions Description:
It is essential for the candidate to meet established deadlines for project-based tasks and possess excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Policy:
Marstel-Day provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and takes applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, military status, or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. In addition, the Company complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment and takes affirmative action to develop and promote a diverse workforce in every location in which the Company has facilities or places its employees for assignment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfers, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
Military Friendly Employer:
Marstel-Day is a certified Virginia Values Veterans (V3) employer. We respect and value the service of our veterans and their families. Marstel-Day is committed to hiring transitioning service members, veterans, and military spouses. We have a growing internal network of veterans and their family members, supported by proactive recruitment and career development.
Paula Bienenfeld, Ph.D.
Senior Cultural Resources Program Manager
10708 Ballantraye Dr., Suite 208
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22407